Rescue

I wrote this story after listening to the song "Rescue" by Lauren Daigle. It's a beautiful song about the heart of the Father for His children. Here's a picture about how I see the heart of the Father for me. Enjoy! 

    The night was dark, and the wind blew cold. As I raced further from the kingdom’s lights I was immersed into the darkness. But I couldn’t stay there. No, I wasn’t worthy of a king’s love, not me. So I ran, my once beautiful gown now drenched with rain and caked with mud. Tears streamed down my face as I ran further from the castle. The village streaked by me, each cottage getting few and farther between as I made my way to the outskirts of the kingdom. Far from any light from the kingdom I sunk to the ground, tears enveloping each breath. I sat there, my royal blue dress fanned out around me, knees to my chest, head on my knees, and I cried. Out here, I didn’t even know if I knew how to make it back. I was lost out here, no one to help me. I was alone. Alone, that word echoed in my mind, reverberating through my entire body. I closed my eyes, trying to find some comfort in myself. Thunder clapped, and the rain poured harder, but in between the thunder another sort of rumble could be heard. It sounded like a thousand feet running across the hills at the same time. I looked up to see coming over the hill hundreds of horses with soldiers on their backs bearing the flag of the Kingdom of Light, and at their head rode the King himself, leading the army. A new wave of emotion washed over me as the King, spotting me, halted the armies, and came riding up to me. Reaching me He slid from His horse, and falling to His knees, wrapped me in His arms, with all the tender love of a father. Tears rolled from my cheeks staining the King’s coat. But as He held me, He wasn’t disgusted by my mud streaked dress, or my tear stained face. He wasn’t angry that I had run away from Him. He held me in His arms like a father welcoming His daughter home.
I pushed away, “How?” I sobbed, “How can you love me? I’m an orphan, a nobody. How can a king love me?”
The king’s eyes looked into mine, full of love, as a father looks at His beloved child, “Why do you call yourself an orphan when you’ve been adopted as the daughter of the King? Why do you call yourself a nobody when you’ve been called my own? You are fearfully and wonderfully made, and I love you so very much.”
“Why did you come after me?” I asked, tears still choking my words.
He took my hands in His, His hands scarred, a reminder of the price He paid so I could be with him. “I will never stop chasing after you. No matter how far you run I will always come after you, welcoming you back home. You don’t have to earn it, you don’t have to deserve it, you don’t have to feel worthy of it, it’s a free gift to you if you’ll just accept my love for you.”
I wrapped my arms around Him, “Thank you, I do accept it. I love you Daddy.”
He smiled at me and stood to His feet, and taking my hand in His, brought me to my feet. 
Looking around I scanned the vast army that stood a little ways away, holding lanterns, illuminating the darkest night.
I looked up at the King’s gentle face, “You brought an army to come find me?”
The King smiled, “Always, Dear One.”
Mounted on the King’s horse, we rode back to the Kingdom of Light. The King himself carrying me home, the King of Glory had knelt in the mud to come find me, with all my mess, and called me beautiful, calling me His own. The King sent out an army to find me in the middle of the darkest night, it’s true. The King came to rescue me…

Comments

  1. Indeed He has rescued us all. Well done Zoie. Your writing captured my imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me cry, Sweetheart. The thought that our God will leave everything and come after us… amazing! Humbling. I’m so in awe of our King! You wrote it so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts